If you’ve been exploring the resources for The Martian Virtual Book Club, you’ll notice a section in the Pre-Reading Guide called Martian Music. We, the ChemClub staff – Erica, Michael and Karen, wanted to share our music picks about space, travel, and survival as inspiration. Hopefully you’ll find some inspiration (& new music) in our choices while making your own list
- Love 80s music, but would also love someone to call me on Mars. Really, anytime.
- Ultimate motivation song in any situation give it your all like Rocky Balboa.
- Even if it’s the end, I can be okay with that.
- They’ve got miles to go, but they’re on their way.
- Good road trip song. Sometimes you feel like you’re running on empty, but still need to make it.
- Cheesy, yes. But I’ll keep believing I can make it home!
- I can handle anything this planet throws at me.
- Sometimes, with bad times, there’s nothing left to do but dance.
- Keep your balance, whether you’re feeling high or low.
- Because in space, nobody can hear you vogue.
- What are the astronauts if not the ultimate travelers.
- This might be a theme when the going gets tough during the trip or on the surface of mars. Hopefully it will be listened to with good humor.
- I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more. Just to be the man who walked a thousand miles to fall down at your door. Nuff said.
- This song has everything, from walking on air to not wanting to work here no more!
- For times when the travelers are perhaps a bit homesick.
- After 6-9 months in space, the astronauts will feel like theyve been everywhere.
- Another homeward looking song. Impossible to listen to without tapping your toe.
- Crooning at its all time best.
- No need to explain this one.
- Its true now that I’ve added Mars!
- No donuts on Mars 🙁 So I chose a song about them when I want my food to taste like donuts instead. Go Nuts for Donuts!
- Can you dance in zero gravity? I’m gonna try!
- When things go wrong, sometimes you just need to howl (or sing at the top of your lungs)!
- Classic song in punk to enjoy rocking out to when you need to remember what a wonderful world it is & a reminder of Earth.
- Cant help but smile when listening to this song. Need to have your go-to happy song the journey gets difficult.
- This song keeps me going, cause that’s what you need to survive.
- In less than 100 years, the space race has rocketed from 0 to far past the speed of sound and ships that have gone farther than ever. I’m in awe of how far we’ve come!
- Polynesian music to remind me of my family. Traveling from planet to planet shouldn’t be so different from exploring the oceans & islands, right?
- – 21. Going to miss all the seasons while on Mars; need to experience them through music. (If I have to only choose one season, listen to Winter and enjoy the idea of snow falling down around you.)